Tuesday, January 12, 2010

SDSU Beats Azrizon on Universe...WOW

WOW is right.

This is probably the most memorable game I ever played in. It was 2008 my senior year and captain year at San Diego State. We had just played the three day tournament in Vegas called 'Trouble in Vegas' and we had a decent perfomance. I think overall we came out with a 4-5 record but we felt good about how we played and knew we could make a few adjustments and be a better team.

Arizona had a better vegas. They were relatively unknown and were able to win a few games and ended up in the round of 16 on day two. We had just finished beating Richmond and we went over to watch the end of the Arizona vs. Florida game. I only watched the last 4 points or so but it was worth it. Sunburn and the Gators were in a battle, they were trading points and Joe Kershner was tearing it up. Lopp, they called him, had a big sky over Kurt Gibson and ended the game on a universe layout over Gibson. The sideline was huge and it felt like the entire tournament was watching. Lopp basically won the Callahan award in that game and reallly in that layout universe catch. Arizona would go on to make the finals and lose on time cap to Wisconsin by one point. But again Lopp had a huge layout grab to end the game.

Anyways the very next weekend in San Diego for Presday we take second in our pool to Kansas, a game we could have won, and they win there pool. This matches us up in power pools the next day. First we had to battle to get through Arkansas, which was a game we probably should have lost be we battled back. Next we lost to Tide X. Then we were set to play Arizona. I distinctly remember talking with our coach about wanting to beat UCLA, our opponent in our 4th game. So our focus was not on the Arizona game at all, we did not expect to even be in that game.

So the game starts, I can't remember too many details, but I do remember them turning the disc pretty easily and us being able to score. We didn't do anything special or tricky, we didn't talk much before the game about a strategy we simply played ultimate in a lose fun atmoshpere because we expected to lose. Occasionally we would run our junk D but again we overal strategy. I do remember Wes catching several scores, Wes is a small little Asian guy who is sneaky. We called him cheat codes because he would often times end up catching the disc over someone twice his size.

All of a sudden we are up 6-3 and end up taking half at 7-5 I believe. At this point the game tightened up and both sides put pressure on defense. I covered Lopp mostly in this game and wasn't overly impressed. Don't get me wrong he is a great ultimate player but he didn't hurt us much this game. I think his main strength is his intelligence on the field as well as his athletic ability, but again I didn't find him terribly difficult to contain and I felt someone like Seraf on UCLA was a much tougher assignment for me and I usually stuggled. However I did hear he was recovering from an ankle sprain, but hey I spained mine at Vegas as well.

So the battle continued and we were still up a break or two, some how they got it back and we were neck and neck. It seemed that all our game with Arizona was going running long because other teams had finished there games and came over to watch surprised that we were still playing. The sidelines began to bolster and then your adrenaline starts pumping. The score has to be something like 11 at this point and as were being pulled to the hard cap goes off, universe!

We work it down the field and utilize the center of the field in our spread offense. I remember at one point cutting to the middle of the field and being vastly over throwed, I layed out and couldn't get to it. I thought we had turned it and our shot at completing the upset may have been lost, but Jackson was there to catch the errant throw and we were still in business. We get down to the end zone I get a break throw from the front of the stack and continue the break to someone for the score and the win!! We beat Arizona and completed the upset! Or so I thought...

One of the Arizona captains come over and say that he just talked to the TD and he said that you must win by two in soft cap. We didn't think that was correct but hey he talked to the TD. So we kept playing and Zona scores it to make it 12s I believe. At this point the Hard Cap goes off and were now in universe. As were working it up the field there is a pick call or something and play stops, at this point the TD runs on to the field and says that the game should be over. We should have won the Zona captain was confused and heard wrong. We decide to just play it out, if we were at regionals it might have been a different story.

So again we drive down the field and Grill gets the disc about 30 yards out of the end zone, I'm cutting from the opposite side of the field towards the back cone and Grill puts it. I track it down with a lay out goal and the win! We beat Arizona. It was an epic win and probably is the biggest win that SDSU has had ever. All in all zona was a great opponent and very fun spirited team. They actually crashed at my house for regionals in Arizona and they were a lot of fun.
Some one captured the last point on video, not long but epic.

No comments:

Post a Comment